Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Net Books, What's the Big Deal

Finally decided to post something here. I have been trying to figure out and thoroughly understand the "new" netbook phenomenon. Adding more hype and excitement to this whole thing is rumors of a pending announcement by Apple to enter the netbook/tablet game. There has been a major convergence of digital devices in the past 4 or 5 years. Smart phones became smarter, PC's became smaller, and wireless communications (3G, CDMA, WiFi, WiMax, LTE) became more vibrant to say the least.

Enter the netbook; smaller than a laptop with the wireless connectivity of a smartphone. Not quite the power of a good desktop PC but then again enough processor speed, ram, and hard drive space to get the job done.

Why am I writing this? I feel like we've been here before (minus the phenomenal wireless technologies of the day).

Enter the Toshiba Libretto! What geek over the age of 25 doesn't remember this device?


I had the Libretto 100 with the following specs

Intel Pentium 166 MHz MMX, 32 MB RAM (64MB max), 2.1 GB hard disk, 7.1" TFT display

Those specs don't look like much now but at the time this machine was a beast! The real fun was getting linux to run on it. (Because running windows NT on this thing was a pain!). The best I remember being able to do was to get linux (redhat I believe) running with a console only view of the OS. It was fun while it lasted.

No comments: